Happy Everything!

Happy Everything!

Happy Everything!

It’s that time of year again! Susanna Hill’s fabulous Holiday Story Contest!  Shopping? Nope. Wrapping? Nope.  Slashing words? Why, yes. Read on to see why I must slice and dice all those pesky little extraneous words.

Here’s Susanna’s challenge: Write a children’s holiday story  using the basic format/concept of The Twelve Days Of Christmas!
But here’s the bigger challenge: It can be no longer than 300 words.

But I’m game, so I held my breath, jumped into the deep end, and came up with this. At exactly 300 words. (Whew!)

HAPPY EVERYTHING

On the first day of Hanukkah, a truck drove up to my house, slammed on its brakes, and out came a

shiny bright Menorah.

I didn’t know who sent it, but I brought it inside, put it on the mantel, and lit the candles.

On the second day of Hanukkah another truck appeared. The driver hauled out a

brightly decorated Christmas Tree

Must be a mistake, I thought.

I sent it back.

On the fourth day of Hanukkah, the mailman lugged his bag up the front steps and dropped off a

beautiful Diwali lamp.

I looked at it, admired it, but sent that back too.

On the fifth day of Hanukkah, there was a knock at my door.

I opened it.  I couldn’t see anyone.

But I did spy a

Kwanza Kinara with seven candles.

Again, wrong house, but who dropped it off?

I left it on my porch with a note.

Beautiful Kinara, but probably not for me.

On the sixth day of Hanukkah,

I heard beeps and bangs and a pounding on my door.

I flew to the window and peered outside.

I’m not sure how it happened, but sitting on my porch was a

fully decorated Christmas tree,

a brightly shining Diwali lamp,

and a Kinara filled with red, green, and black candles.

I shrugged my shoulders and dragged everything inside.

On the seventh day of Hanukkah,

I scratched my head, looked around, and got an idea.

I grabbed my phone and dialed. This would work.

On the eighth day of Hanukkah (which happened to coincide with the twelfth day of Christmas),

my house was filled with music, light, food and tradition.

But most of all, friendship.

As the night was winding down, I heard a voice shout,

“Happy Everything, y’all! It’s late now. I’m out!”

14 Comment(s)

• by Vivian Kirkfield Posted December 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I love this, Ellen…I was thinking about how to get all the holidays into my entry for Susanna’s contest…but I couldn’t figure out how. YOU DID IT! Beautiful message and lots of fun.

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:58 am

Ahh, thanks, pal!

• by Kathy Halsey Posted December 11, 2016 2:34 pm

Ellen, love how inclusive this is and the subtle humor in it. BRAVO. Happy Everything! I agree.

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks, my friend! I just saw this comment. 🙂

• by Cathey N. Posted December 12, 2016 10:48 pm

How adorable! Great job, I hope you win a top spot in the contest, my friend! Happy everything!

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks, Cathey! See you soon.

• by Patricia Nozell Posted December 13, 2016 4:03 am

I love that you’ve included so many traditions in your story, Ellen. Happy holidays!

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks so much! I’m sorry I just saw this. Happy Everything, Patricia!

• by Jean James Posted December 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Happy Everything y’all to you too! Good luck in the contest!

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:54 am

Thanks, Jean! I just saw this. I hope YOU had a Happy Everything!

• by Gabi Snyder Posted December 14, 2016 12:46 am

This is fantastic, Ellen! I love the many-traditions celebration with friends. Well done!

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks, Gabi! Nice meeting you!

• by Susanna Leonard Hill Posted December 15, 2016 12:59 am

Love this, Ellen! So clever how you worked all those holidays into the 12 Days format along with an MC whose personality comes through nicely! Thanks so much for joining in the fun, and Happy Holidays – all of them! – to you 🙂

• by Ellen Leventhal Posted January 2, 2017 1:54 am

Ha! Just saw this, Susanna! Thanks. I hope you had WONDERFUL holidays!